Can employees, graduate students or undergraduate students travel for academics or business?

Employees, graduate students, and undergraduates traveling for in-person business, research or instructional field activities, no longer need an approved extension form for international travel.  Students must comply with the UW–Madison International Travel Policy. The International Travel Policy applies to students of all levels and programs of study – undergraduate, graduate, and professional.  

 All travelers should follow the existing campus travel policycurrent campus health protocols and CDC International Travel Guidance.  Individuals who are not fully vaccinated for COVID-19, should consider delaying university-sponsored international travel. Travelers should pay close attention to country-specific vaccination and testing requirements, as these may vary and are modified regularly.

The university highly recommends employees traveling internationally on university business enroll in the UW System international health, medical, and evacuation insurance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI). Starting January 1, 2022, CISI will be required for all employees traveling abroad for university purposes. For more information on this requirement, see the CISI Insurance enrollment and reimbursement memo, issued November 1, 2021.  Enrollment in CISI is not available for personal travel.